Requirements for Summer School
All 2018 summer school classes will be held 8:30 A.M. – 2:30 P.M. Monday through Friday at Emerson Alternative High School, 335 5th Street. Registration will be held at Emerson High School and payment must be made at time of registration. Please make checks payable to EMERSON HIGH SCHOOL
GENERAL POLICIES – All school policies pertaining to the regular school year apply to summer school. Tobacco, alcohol, and controlled substances are strictly prohibited. Use or possession will result in expulsion from summer school. Students are expected to behave responsibly. Any attempt to intimidate others or to participate in aggressive behavior will not be tolerated.
GRADING POLICY – Grading will be based on mastery of the curriculum standards and objectives. Mastery will be measured at proficiency which is 80% or higher.
ATTENDANCE/TARDY – Students who miss more than 4 hours of class FOR ANY REASON (including being tardy, vacations, camps, workshops, illnesses, etc) will be dropped, will not receive credit, and no refunds will issued.
CELL PHONES/i-PODS/ELECTRONIC DEVICES – The use of cell phones/i-pods/electronic devices during class time is prohibited. Any violation of this policy may result in the student being dropped from the session. Phone messages will be taken for students only in case of emergency from parents/guardians.
DRESS CODE – The rules of dress for Summer School is based on common sense, decency and modesty, and is not meant to inconvenience anyone. Dress standards are subject to current Idaho Falls School District 91 School Board Policy which addresses:
- No references to drugs, alcohol or tobacco products
- No profanity, vulgarity or demeaning language or pictures
- No tank tops, bare midriff-type shirts, muscle shirts or half tops for either females or males
- No displaying of undergarments, no low-riders (pants or shorts) that expose boxers or undergarments
- No attire that displays or reflects any association to any gangs or gang activity, including gloves
- No short or skirt hemlines above the normal extension of the students arms
- No see-through or revealing attire
- Sunglasses and gloves are not to be worn in the building
CHILD CARE – Summer School does not provide child care services. If a student comes to school with a child, the student will be asked to leave until other arrangements for the child can be made. If this causes the student to go over allotted hours to receive credit, they will be dropped. The student may re-enroll at the beginning of the next class. Classroom teachers are not authorized to grant individual exceptions.
BIKES, BLADES, BOARDS – Bikes are to be parked in the designated bike rack and must be locked up. The school assumes no responsibility for theft or damage. Roller blades, skateboards, and scooters are not to be ridden on campus.
Requirements for Day School
In order to avoid the tuition fee of $150.00 per credit for day school, a student must qualify by meeting the requirements as an alternative school student. These requirements are established by the State of Idaho.
Any three of the following:
1. Has repeated at least one grade.
2. Has absenteeism greater than 10% during the preceding semester/trimester.
3. Has an overall grade point average that is less than 1.5 on a 4.0 scale prior to enrolling in an alternative secondary program.
4. Has failed one or more academic subjects.
5. Is two or more semester credits per year behind the rate required to graduate.
6. Is a limited English proficient student who has not been in a program more than three years.
Or, any one of the following:
1. Has substance abuse behavior
2. Is pregnant or a parent.
3. Is an emancipated youth.
4. Is a previous dropout.
5. Has serious personal, emotional or medical problems.
6. Is a court or agency referral.
7. Upon recommendation of the school district as determined by locally developed criteria for disruptive student behavior.
Please call our office if you have enrollment questions, or stop by between the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 3:30 P.M. Monday through Friday for information and/or registration packets.
Requirements for Night School
$25.00 per credit if eligible for Alternative School status
$75.00 per credit for credit recovery
$150.00 per credit to get ahead
Day School Registration Form Word Document (identical to PDF form)
Day School Registration Form PDF Document (identical to Word form)